Monday, October 1, 2012

Indonesian Chicken Curry

I found this recipe for Indonesian Chicken Curry in Saveur's The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World.  I love the magazine.  I love the website.  I *really* love this cookbook!




I live in rural Kentucky and finding odd Asian spices isn't going to happen without an hour plus drive, so I made some adaptions to adjust to my pantry.  The original recipe is linked above, what follows is my adaption.





INDONESIAN CHICKEN CURRY in KENTUCKY

  • 1 Tbs ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red chili flakes
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbs Gourmet Garden squeezable ginger
  • 3 Tbs coconut oil
  • Zest of one lime
  • 5 - 4" sticks of cinnamon
  • 1 Tbs Gourmet Garden squeezable lemon grass
  • 3 lbs mixed chicken legs and thighs
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • kosher salt (to taste)
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice, for serving

Put coriander and crushed red chili flakes into a blender with garlic, onions, and ginger; purée to a paste. Add 1–2 tbsp. water, if necessary.(It was necessary!)
Heat oil in a 5-qt. Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add paste; cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant, 5–7 minutes. Add lime zest, cinnamon, and lemongrass. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cinnamon is fragrant, about 2 minutes. 
Increase heat to medium, add chicken, and cook, turning once, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. 
Stir in 1 cup coconut milk, 1 1⁄4 cups water, and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender, 40–50 minutes. 
Add remaining coconut milk; cook for 2 minutes. Let cool for 20 minutes before serving with the rice. 


The house smelled DELICIOUS while this was cooking, but the actual curry was blander than we were expecting.  When I make this again (and I will!), I will probably double the ginger, lemon grass, and lime zest.  This is the first time I've tried the Garden Gourmet products and after I'd already cooked dinner I discovered that the paste is milder than the real deal.

In a perfect world, I'd get all of the ingredients fresh and make it EXACTLY as the recipe is written.  Okay... maybe not exactly, but I'd definitely use the Kaffir lime leaves (mostly because that would be easier than zesting a lime!), fresh ginger, and stalks of lemon grass bruised and tied in knots.

~ Enjoy!



No comments: