Makes 12-16 servings
by Marcia Adams
in Cooking from Quilt Country
- 10 cups water
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cups small pearl tapioca
- 2 cups dark brown sugar, no substitutes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs butter (1 1/4 sticks)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large, deep saucepan. Sprinkle in the tapioca and cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring often. Add the dark brown sugar, lower the heat a little, and cook 5 minutes longer, or until the tapioca is clear.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk and granulated sugar and blend. Stir 1 cup of the hot tapioca mixture into the egg-milk mixture. Then, combine this mix into the rest of the tapioca. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until the mixture bubbles up.
- In the meantime, heat the butter in a small saucepan over medium until it is light brown. Add butter to the bubbling pudding, along with the vanilla, and mix well. Pour into a 3-quart serving bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. (It will set up without refrigeration in about six hours.)
If you do refrigerate this pudding, allow it to come to room temperature before serving and stir it up a bit to soften it.
I've copied this recipe directly from Cooking with Quilt Country, p 71. Normally, I don't post recipes I use exactly as written, but I'm making an exception for this one. I'm sure I'll deviate if I start making it more often. ;)