Sunday, May 18, 2014

Kielbasa & Pierogies

More comfort food. I'm obsessed. Frozen pierogies were a treat when I was growing up. They were always potato and onion, and they always came frozen, in a box. Mrs. T's.


Somewhere along the line, I learned to love cooking.  Then I became obsessed with the ethnic cooking, and eventually searching for the roots of the ethnic food my own family ate when I was growing up.  Now I know that I could make pierogies from scratch, but instead I've switched to the Sam's brand of the months (and flavor of the month) and look for recipes I can use them in.



Kielbasa & Pierogies

Ingredients
  • About 16 frozen pierogies
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 3-4 cups packaged coleslaw mix
  • 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 12 ounces kielbasa sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices

Directions
  1. Bring a large shallow pot of water to a boil and drop in frozen pierogies. Boil over medium heat until pierogies float to the top, about 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
  2. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add cabbage and onions, cooking about 5 minutes until cabbage is wilted. Stir in kielbasa pieces; cook until sausage is heated through, another 5 minutes.
  3. Gently lay pierogies into the skillet and move sausage mixture aside to allow pierogies to cook on the surface of the hot skillet.  Turn heat down to medium-low and cook until they puff up and brown slightly, about 10 minutes on each side.

This is a great, easy to make dinner.  And SO tasty!  Use whichever type pierogi you love.  My personal favorites are potato and onion, but the rest of the family loves potato and cheddar.  I would have no problem doubling the amount of cabbage to stretch this for unexpected company.

~ Enjoy!



No comments: