Thursday, June 23, 2011

Noodle Kugel

I was in my teens the first time I ate this dish and I've been in love since the first bite.  Noodle kugel says COMFORT FOOD in a big way.  I've been in a somewhat melancholy mood lately and find myself craving comfort foods.  Today at the computer noodle kugel came to mind, so I googled a recipe.  (LOL!  Google 'kugel'!)

While some recipes include cinnamon and other toppings, I chose to try this simple sweet kugel from Smitten Kitchen because I had all the ingredients on hand.  I did cut it in half since I only had one pound of cottage cheese.

Noodle Kugel

1/2 pound wide egg noodles
5 eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1 pound full-fat cottage cheese, creamed or large curd
1 stick melted butter margarine
2 teaspoons vanilla
Dash of salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Parboil the noodles (five to seven minutes).

In a very large bowl beat eggs until fluffy. Add the sugar gradually, then the cottage cheese, margarine or butter and vanilla. Stir in the drained noodles.

Pour into a 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until kugel is set.


It's still in the oven. Verdict later. Right now I'm praying for extra compassion so I will not stress over sharing with the family. :)

No comments: