Thursday, May 3, 2012

Operation Clean Out the Freezer - Day #5

Noodles with Broccoli and Meat (Cambodia)

I substituted a bag of Asian mixed vegetables for the broccoli and used imitation crab and chicken for the meat.  As always, it did not disappoint!


Cucumber Salad (Indonesia)

2 small cucumbers (I used one large English cucumber)
1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 Tbs sugar
slices of hot chili pepper to taste (optional)

Whisk together all ingredients except the cucumbers and onions in a largish bowl.  Add cucumbers and onions, toss with dressing.  Marinate at least 30 minutes before serving.


I skipped the pepper because my family just isn't all that fond of pepper.  Then I increased the garlic powder because I knew I wasn't going to be using the hot chili peppers but I still wanted some kick.  Lastly, I used about 2 tsps of chili powder in place of the hot chili peppers.  This was a perfect side with the stir fry!


Both of these recipes are from Extending the Table: A World Community Cookbook by Joetta Handrich Schlabach, 1991, Herald Press. (It's also available from Amazon.)  My number one, absolute favorite cookbook. Ever. I can't recommend it highly enough to my ethnic food loving friends.

No comments: